The largest island in the Caribbean is widely known for its abundance of classic cars, cigars and rum, but there is so much more to see when you scratch beneath the colourful surface and venture into the countryside. This 6-day Western Cuba adventure explores the forests of Soroa and the valleys of Vinales, with time to explore the nation’s capital at both ends. Practise some salsa steps, eat farm-to-table at an eco-village and learn about local herbs used for their medicinal properties. Your adventure takes in the bustling sights of Havana and the slow-paced charm of the countryside. You’ll be sure to gain a huge appreciation for western Cuba – a country where time stopped decades ago, and life is good.
- Havana – Leader-led Walking Tour of Old Havana
- Havana – Callejon de Hamel (Afro Cuban Art Alleyway)
- Havana – Jaimanitas (Mosaic-laden Neighbourhood)
- Leader-led Informal Spanish Lesson
- Soroa – Orchid Garden (entrance fee and guide included)
- Las Terrazas – Sustainable Rural Economy Project (Entrance fee and Guide included)
- Vinales – Medicinal Plants Farm
- Vinales – Leader-led Orientation Walk
- Vinales – Half-day Valley Walking Tour including Tobacco Farmhouse (guide included, no transport)
- Vinales – Salsa Dance Lesson (1 hour)
- Faded colonial charm, rich history, vibrant nightlife – it’s easy to see why dreamy Havana has been preserved in all its glory.
- Experience the laidback Cuban lifestyle on a guided orientation tour of the old capital and wander the streets of the peculiar artists neighbourhood of Jaimanitas.
- Watch life slowly roll by in Cuba’s countryside. Stroll along rural dirt roads and watch as tractors, vintage cars and horse-drawn carriages evoke a bygone era.
- The lush Soroa is known as the ‘Rainbow of Cuba’. Explore an orchid garden, learn the medicinal secrets of wild Cuban herbs and venture to a gorgeous nearby eco-village en route to Vinales.
- Make like Castro and roll a cigar with a tobacco farmer in Pinar del Rio Province. The newly harvested tobacco will be used to produce some of the most prestigious and expensive cigars in the world.